The History of Timpson
by Perry A. Nichols.
The History of Timpson
This is the first of four articles reprinted from the Timpson Daily Times
(Editor's note: This is a copy of an historical essay used February 1, 1933, as a term theme in history class at the college in Marshall. The author gives credit to the following as sources for material: Mrs. J. H. Cruger, Mrs. R.H. Garrett, Mrs. Joe McClellan, Stroud Kelly, B.J. Hawthorn, J.R. Nichols, F.T. Cook, H.R. Forey, Timpson School Catalogue of 1892-93 and some early issued of the Timpson Times. This story, if preserved, will supply some historian, in later years with a starting point for a real history of Timpson. This interesting history of Timpson, due to its length, will be published in installments to appear during the next four or five days. Save each copy that you may have the complete history of Timpson.)
Timpson is a very young town. When the county was first organized, Shelbyville, the county seat, in the southern portion, and Buena Vista, in the western portion, were the only towns in the county. The next town to be established was about 1866, a new county seat named Center, because it was located in the center of the county. Still Shelby County was without a railroad. In 1884 outside capital, mostly in New York, decided to build a railroad from Shreveport, Louisiana to Houston, Texas. They made their survey along the northern edge of Shelby County and this accounts for three new towns in the county: Timpson, Tenaha, and Joaquin. When the survey for the railroad was first made they ran it through the old town of Buena Vista, but some of the leading citizens of that community did not want to accept the prices which the surveyors offered them, so rather than pay such high prices for the right-of-way, a second survey was made, which missed Buena Vista some three miles to the North, and a new townsite was laid out in the midst of the woods.
How Timpson Got Its Name
They named the new town Timpson in honor of one of the stockholders, a Mr. Timpson, who lived in New York. They made a practice of naming the new towns along the railroad after stockholders, hence Lufkin, Appleby, and others.
The railroad surveyor for this section was named Charlie Noblet. After laying out the railroad, he surveyed the town. They made it one mile square; then subdivided it into ordinary lots and blocks; then named the streets. Again the names of stockholders came in for honors. Thus we find the streets, Jacob, Bremmond, and others. They also used the names of nearby residents for streets as Todd and McLaughlin. The town site was located in an old slavery-time field and our present modern paved streets cover an old corn field.
Streets at An Angle of 43 Degrees
There was only one other farm home near the new town. Mr. Blankenship owned a large log house which still exists only a few miles north of the city limits. This was the childhood home our present eminent citizens, J.E. Blankenship and Mrs. J. H. Cruger. This home became very prominent in the early days of Timpson because it was here that Charlie Noblet and his surveying crew and other laborers as well as the town promoters went to eat the country ham and fat chickens of Mark Blankenship before hotel accommodations were to be had in the new town.
While Mr. Noblet and his crew were busily laying out the town, the construction crew was also busy opening the right-of-way and laying the track from garrison, the last station south of Timpson.
The First Passenger Train